NWC File Organization
The purpose of this tool is to provide a sort of 'version management'.
A possible scenario:
- When you think a draft version of your score is ready to be 'promoted' or secured,
you can register the date last modified in the File Info comments section, create a
read-only copy in a dedicated folder, with one or more suffixes added to the file
name to see at a glance the date last modified, the creation date of the copy and/or
a 'version text'.
- Then you can safely continue working with the original draft version.
- If you want to work again with the secured version, you could unlock it, or leave
it locked and create a new, writable copy in your 'working' folder.
The tool window:
- The date modified, shown at the top of the window, is extracted from the Windows
- The 'File Info Comments' frame shows the comment section of the 'File Info' from
the input file.
- The actions that you select in the 'Actions' frame are not accomplished until you
click one of the buttons 'Save changes' or 'Save copy'.
If you save a copy of the input file, you can add one or more suffixes:
- #m, followed by the date modified
- #c, followed by the creation date of the copy
- #v, followed by a self chosen text
(Remark: Any suffixes of the input file are not retained in the name of the copy.)
Via a popup window you can choose the folder for the copy. (Remark: If the folder
doesn't exist, you'll be ask if it should be created.)Installation:
Since the script is written in the Python programming language, it can't be run directly in the NWC Tools environment, so I have build an executable file from it (file_organization.exe) and a Windows installation file. The file attached is the zipped installation file. After you have downloaded that file, you can unpack and run it. It will install the tool as a Windows application. It will suggest a folder, but you can change that. Copy that folder name.
The next step is the installation in NWC:
- Open the User Tools window (via Tools/User Tool...)
- Click 'New...' and fill in the dialog box:
- Choose e group and a name
- In the command line, paste the folder name where the tool is installed, followed by '/file_organization.exe' (without the quotes)
- Choose 'File Text' as Input Type
- In the Options section: leave 'Compress Input' unchecked and chek the other ones.
- Click 'OK'